The UFZ has a strong commitment to diversity and actively supports equal opportunities for all employees regardless of their origin, religion, ideology, disability, age or sexual identity. We look forward to applications from people who are open-minded and enjoy working in diverse teams.
The Helmholtz Centre for Environmental Research (UFZ) with its 1,100 employees has gained an excellent reputation as an international competence centre for environmental sciences. We are part of the largest scientific organisation in Germany, the Helmholtz association. Our mission: Our research seeks to find a balance between social development and the long-term protection of our natural resources.
The Department of Environmental Informatics is seeking for a motivated and reliable candidate to conduct a master thesis research project on the modeling of nature-based technologies for wastewater treatment.
Master Thesis in Environmental Modeling
Further development of an existing workflow for transport modeling of treatment wetlands.
The discharge of untreated and/or non-adequately treated wastewater is still a major source of the pollution of surface and sub-surface water bodies. Treatment wetlands have become an increasingly recognized nature-based technology for wastewater treatment. The system analysis of this technology using process-based numerical modeling is an important method to gain a deeper system understanding and to further optimize treatment efficacy. Unfolding the full potential of this method requires workflows that allow to conduct the numerous computer simulations and required pre- and post-processing steps involved in an efficient and user friendly way.
This project will, therefore, focus on the extension and application of an existing open-source modeling workflow for treatment wetlands. The candidate will further develop an interface of our in-house software OpenGeoSys with the R statistical software environment. The interface is then to be used to adapt an existing transport model to different wetland technologies.
Specific tasks are:
- Extension of the existing modeling workflow in R and OpenGeoSys
- Software development of the interface R2OpenGeoSys using the R statistical software environment
- Application of the workflow (pre-processing, simulation, post-processing) to calibrate and validate transport models of experimental pilot-scale wetlands
According to the candidates interests and capabilities, modification of the topic towards more method development or application is possible.
- Student of environmental informatics, applied informatics, environmental engineering, environmental sciences, hydrology or related discipline
- Self-sufficiency and reliability
- Basic experience with R is mandatory
- Experience with numerical transport modeling, Python and/or OpenGeoSys are an asset
- A close and good care
- Exciting insights into the work of a leading institute
- Excellent technical facilities which are without parallel
- Work in inter-disciplinary, multinational teams
- The possibility to introduce your own ideas and impulses from the beginning
Your contact for any questions you may have about the job:
Please submit your application via our online portal with your cover letter, CV (please omit your photo, age, or marital status) and relevant attachments.
Closing date for applications: 16.02.2020
Place of work: Leipzig